- 1 clear plastic or glass jar
1 cup sugar (this can be white, brown, or raw)
- you can also use ground coffee (see note below)
1/2 cup oil (extra virgin olive oil, jojoba, safflower, grape seed, or apricot kernel)
scented essential oils (optional)
baking soda (optional: helps clarify the skin)
- mix the sugar and oil in the plastic container.
- since you are using this in the bath or shower, I would avoid using glass
- add any optional scents you like:
- Vanilla: Great especially in the coffee or brown sugar scrub.
- Orange, lime, tangerine or lemon: For an uplifting effect.
- Rosemary, eucalyptus or peppermint: For clearing out the sinuses and stimulating the body
- Cinnamon or clove: For improving circulation and adding a spicy kick to your scrub.
- Rose, jasmine or ylang-ylang: for a romantic floral scrub.
- Geranium: For balancing your mood.
- Lavender: For promoting relaxation.
- to use: place some on a wash cloth and rub in circles anywhere you need exfoliation.
note: the sugar may settle to the bottom, so it may be necessary to shake before using.
Note: Coffee can be used as a topical scrub as well.
Coffee is granular and feels nice on the skin but the caffeine has added benefits. Applied topically coffee helps to redistribute fat cells and decrease the formation of cellulite. It also acts as a vasorestrictor, tightening and shrinking blood vessels thereby helping eliminate varicose veins. It has been used for years in spas in Hawaii and on the coast of Bali.