- Pair of old headphones
2 playing cards
2 Altoids tins
- Dismantle the headphones and remove the speakers.
- Use a pin to poke a small hole in each of two playing cards, then glue the speakers to the cards, lining up each speaker with the hole.
- Use the awl to poke a hole in the back of each tin, then thread the speaker wire through the holes.
- Reconnect the wires by twisting them together and burning the plastic coating off with a lighter. Then tape them off.
- Place the foam padding from the headphones inside the tins, open side up, to cushion the speakers.
- Trim the cards to fit inside the tins, place them inside (use glue if necessary). Note: The sound will be a little tinny.
[Edit 12/2016]— The original project was posted on the ReadyMade website, which has since been bought by Better Homes & Gardens and has been removed. I found a page at the Instructables website that shows how to create a similar project.
If you like "making" and tinkering, you should check out Make Magazine's series of books: