- a 7" x 7" square of fabric (if you don't have a ruler, open your checkbook cover and trace around it)
2/3 cup rice
5 - 10 drops essential oil, available at health food stores. Rosemary and chamomile are both said to relieve stress, stimulate relaxation, and ease insomnia and headaches; try peppermint to tame a hangover.
needle and thread
an envelope of piece of thin cardboard for filling pillow
- Before you start, add 5 - 10 drops of essential oil to 2/3 cup rice. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then mix well to blend, and leave it for about an hour. This allows the rice to absorb the oil, preventing greasy spots on your fabric. If you're making several pillows, you can mix up a big batch of rice and oil at once. Alternately, you can skip the oil and use 1/4 to 1/3 lavender flowers in place of some of the rice.
- Fold the square of fabric in half, right sides facing (the opposite side of what you want to show up should be on the outside; you'll turn it inside-out after you sew it up)
- Sew along the long side and one short side to form a pouch. If you're sewing by hand, keep your stitches small. Look at the decorative stitching on your jeans for a guideline.
- Turn pouch right side-out. You can use a pen with a lid to poke out the corners and make them nice and square.
- Fold open edge in about 1/2" on itself; iron. (If you don't have an iron, just skip this step and you'll fold it in when you sew it.
- Fill pouch with 2/3 cup scented rice. Slightly roll up the envelope lengthwise, slide it into the pouch, and use it to hold the pouch open and while you fill it with rice.
- Sew up open side. If you didn't iron the hem in earlier, then make sure you fold in the unfinished edges. If you're hand sewing, sew several extra stitches at the beginning and the end of the seam to prevent it from unraveling.
Recline, situate pillow over closed eyes, and relax. Eye pillow may be chilled or stored in the freezer for use over the eyes or forehead to help ease a headache or hangover. If fragrance fades, revive with a few drops of essential oil along seam.
From Smile and Act Nice